Sunday, March 20, 2011

Spring Break!!

We can hardly believe spring break has come and gone!  We started the week with a fun picnic with 3 other neighborhood families from out ward in the park across the street.  It was a great time and fun to get to know the others better.  Grant and I still had to work most of the week, but tried to get the kids to parties, play dates, and bike trips the best we could.  It was even warm enough to swim one day!  Megan and Mom did some shopping for much needed clothes and Blake and Mom priced out dirt for a garden and picked out Paige's first pet leopard gecko and his supplies, for an early birthday present.  We all went to the movie and out to a delicious dinner at Sam's club one night:)!   

We had to take a moment to celebrate Bessy, our trusty Expedition who turned over 200,000 miles sometime this week and we hope with more love she will just keep on tickin!   
 
Grant hurt his back carrying Jason up the stairs one night, and couldn't risk going on a mountain biking trip with Blake.  So Blake enlisted me to go with him.  I was thrilled that he would consider spending the afternoon with me, but a little leery of my ability, but thought it good to take a chance.  It was a beautiful day and the mountain biking trails were pretty.  I had to wonder how I ever escaped doing this in Idaho, but came to a few conclusions...
1-I value my body a little too much to do this sport often.(or maybe I'm just getting old...er)
2-The handlebars are made too wide on a mountain bike (or the trees are just too close together, for I ran into one too many!)
3-Road rash is way over rated!!!
OUCH!!  and be glad I didn't take a picture of the beautiful deep purple bruises I have across my bum that I must have gotten from falling on  a root embedded in the rock hard dirt.  I still had a good time and wouldn't mind going again, once I've healed, just on the easier trails.

Saturday we celebrated out one year anniversary of being here in Texas by hiking at Enchanted Rock.  After waiting for about 3 hours to get into the park, we had a fun hike up the strange dome rock formation in the middle of nowhere.  They only allowed a certain amount of people in the park at a time, so we explored Fredricksberg, a quaint little town just down the road, and then got to sit in this line of cars when the park finally opened again.  Enchanted Rock is in the background...

Up we go!

Not only did we climb to reach the top, but for some divine intervention...

Funny to be hiking a mountain with this lot!:)

The Mighty Conquerors!
Blake and Jason nearly ran to the top and beat us all! 
The wind was mighty at the top, making for some great hairdos!


The view from the top!  We felt like we were on top of Texas!
(Notice Paige being gangster:)

This was looking back up at what we had accomplished!

 Grant told the kids that if they made it to the top that we would have a yummy BBQ dinner, but if not, we had to eat cold hot dogs from the 7-eleven, so they all had a little motivation.  We hit Rudy's (a local down- home BBQ place) after, and showed our carnivorous sides!  It was Yummy!!

                      Notice you get no plates, only paper to eat on, so you can really be barbaric!!:)


Just some shots of our cutie kids!
This is a cool bridge we saw on our drive home...
It was the highlight of our week!  We have a great little family (who are not so little any more!).
We have anjoyed our first year in Texas and have gotten stronger together (not smelling that is:). We've loved all the unique exploring that we have done and hope that we continue to enjoy each other and this great state we now live in!  Happy Spring!!

1 comment:

Nick & Tiffany said...

Happy Spring Break & Happy Texas Anniversary!